Here's the shortened version-
1. Swimming anxiety as expected but finished in 34:18
2. Bonked on the bike but finished in 3:57:15
3. Had a mental breakdown in T2 for at least 5:00
4. Continued to smile the entire race
5. Limped through the run but finished my first HIM in 7:25:16
6. Raised nearly $2,500 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
and for those of you interested the more detailed version below...
Swim Start -
The Swim (0:34:18)-
In case you had any doubts, 1.2 miles of swimming is a long way! It doesn't matter that there's a current on your side.. you hope to be done in like 5 minutes only to realize you have quite a bit to go in the water! When we took off from the dock I felt great... I started swimming along just fine and counting my strokes...1, 2, 3, breathe and repeat. Unfortunately at one point I let myself think too much and I started pondering the gators in the Savannah River which automatically sent me into a panic! What if one of those things comes and eats me...will anyone even notice?! This resorted to me flipping onto my back a few times to try and calm myself down.
T1 (0:05:44)-

The Bike (3:57:15) - The longest bike ride of my life (well not literally but it sure did feel like it!)
T2 (0:07:32) - One thing that you wouldn't never know from the pictures is what happened once I got into transition. I was honestly so relieved to be done with the bike/mentally exhausted/physically drained that I just plopped down on my mat and started sobbing. I honestly wasn't quite sure at the time why I was crying, but the thought of going on to run this half marathon didn't calm me down. I knew though that not finishing was simply not an option. After a few more minutes of crying, my pity party was over. I put on my ankle brace, slipped on my shoes and headed over to the sunscreen tent. Eventually I was out on the road and no one even knew about my little meltdown since I had gone in and come out of transition smiling.
The Run (2:40:27) -Well this was painful! The only thing I could think of was how soon can I find Adam to get some Advil. My sprained ankle was in so much pain but I was determined to finish this race.

The Finish (7:25:16) -



No comments:
Post a Comment